Colonial Life General Privacy Notice
At Colonial Life, we know the importance of protecting your privacy and are committed to clearly communicating how we collect and use your personal information.
This privacy notice ("Notice") describes the privacy practices of Colonial Life ("Colonial Life," "we," "us," and "our") a subsidiary of Unum Group, Inc. ("Unum"). This Notice governs our collection and use of the personal information we collect: (i) from individuals online through our websites; (ii) through our mobile applications; or (iii) any other collection that references or links to Unum.com/Privacy or directly to this Notice.
This Notice is intended to provide a broad overview of our privacy practices and is applicable to Colonial Life’s practices as a whole, unless superseded by a notice that addresses privacy under a specific law (e.g., GLBA, HIPAA, CCPA) or pursuant to a specified product, service, or agreement that applies to a subset of information, products, or individuals. Those notices may be found here or through the respective application or product landing page you utilize to sign up or register for such other product or service.
HOW COLONIAL LIFE COLLECTS INFORMATION ABOUT YOU
Colonial Life may collect information about you in one or more of the following ways:
- Directly from you, such as:
- When you interact with our websites, mobile applications, surveys, or advertisements
- When you interact with our call center or agents
- When you apply for products or services from Colonial Life
- When you submit, change, or update a claim under a policy
- From third parties, such as:
- Vendors and other service providers
- Consumer reporting agencies
- Brokers, agents, or employers applying for coverage or filing a claim on your behalf
- Governmental agencies that maintain public records systems
- Automatically from you, such as:
- When you interact with our websites and mobile applications, we may use online technologies such as cookies, web beacons, pixels, and other similar technologies to collect information automatically
- When you call our call center, we may collect your telephone number automatically
CATEGORIES OF INFORMATION COLONIAL LIFE COLLECTS ABOUT YOU
Colonial Life may collect the following general categories of information about you:
- Account, application, and profile information, such as:
- Name, address, date of birth, telephone number, Social Security number
- Demographic information, such as household information, language, marital status, and dependents
- Financial account, credit, or debit card information
- Any other information provided to us through an application for our products or services
- Internet, mobile application, and network activity information, such as:
- I.P. address, unique device identifier, geolocation information
- Technical usage information, browser visits, website user activity, online interaction and use of our websites through cookies
- Social media profile information
- Product and claims information, such as:
- Products or services purchased from Colonial Life
- Information provided by you when you file a claim, or we request for administration of a claim
- Medical information and history
- Professional or employment-related information, such as:
- Occupation, title, and employer
- Employment history
HOW COLONIAL LIFE USES INFORMATION COLLECTED ABOUT YOU
Colonial Life primarily uses the information collected about you to provide you with our products and services. Colonial Life also uses information to develop and improve our offerings, to market our products and services to you, and for other operational reasons. Below please find some specific details about how Colonial Life may use your information.
- To Provide Products and Services to You. We may use your information to provide the Colonial Life products and services you have purchased or enrolled in, administer insurance claims or other service offerings; communicate with you regarding any products or services you have purchased or enrolled in; provide billing and payment services; or otherwise assist in the transaction you have engaged in with us.
- To Provide Services to our Business Customers. Some of Colonial Life’s services are offered to employers for their use in administering benefits for their employees. We may use information collected about you to provide these services to your employer.
- To Analyze, Develop, and Improve our Products and Services. We may use your information to improve or develop new products, analyze usage to determine the need for enhancements, or evaluate the market need for new products or services.
- To Market our Products and Services. We may use your information to provide you with materials regarding other products or services we offer that may be of interest to you.
- For Operations and Regulatory Compliance. We may use your information to detect security incidents; protect against fraud; assist in debugging or repairing errors that impact our websites, mobile applications, or services; audit our transactions with you; and comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, or to comply with government or law enforcement investigations, regulatory inquiries, or similar events.
HOW COLONIAL LIFE SHARES INFORMATION COLLECTED ABOUT YOU
Colonial Life does not sell your information to third parties. To provide products and services to you or otherwise operate our business, we may, to the extent reasonably necessary, share information collected about you with third parties as described below.
- Within Unum. Colonial Life is a subsidiary of Unum, which is made up of several distinct corporations and entities. We may share your information within our business for the purposes described above.
- With Vendors or Service Providers. We may share information with people or businesses who provide services to Colonial Life to the extent reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes described above.
- With Regulators and Governmental Entities. As an insurer, Colonial Life is subject to oversight by various state and federal entities. Part of this oversight involves Colonial Life responding to requests for information from government regulators. We may share your information in response to a request from one of our state or federal regulators or as otherwise needed to comply with our obligations under applicable law or legal process.
- As a Part a Corporate Transaction. We may share information in connection with a planned or actual merger, sale, or acquisition related to our business.
- To Other Parties for Legal Proceedings or to Prevent Harm. We may share information when we reasonably believe it is necessary for the safety of individuals or property, is required for legal reporting, or to protect or enforce our legal rights.
HOW COLONIAL LIFE SAFEGUARDS INFORMATION COLLECTED ABOUT YOU
Colonial Life takes its obligation to protect the information it collects about you seriously. While no method of storing or transmitting information is guaranteed to be completely secure, we have implemented physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to help us protect your information. As part of our commitment to securing your information, we regularly review our security practices and evaluate products and services to better assist us in these efforts.
We do not display non-Colonial Life advertising on our websites. We do, however, engage online advertising services to display advertisements to you after you leave our site. These online advertising services may set cookies or similar technology on our website to collect information about your activities on our online platforms over time.
If you wish to limit the use of these cookies or similar technologies, most internet browsers provide you with tools to control cookies, including the ability to block, manage, and delete cookies from your device. Please be aware that if you block cookies in your browser settings, you may experience decreased functionality on our websites.
Currently, our website and mobile applications do respond to Global Privacy Control (GPC) signals.
THIRD PARTY LINKS ON COLONIAL LIFE'S WEBSITE
We may provide links to other websites not owned or controlled by Colonial Life on our websites or applications, including social media websites like Facebook, LinkedIn, or Twitter. Colonial Life is not responsible for these third parties and their privacy practices may differ from ours. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of these linked sites if you have any questions about their practices.
Colonial Life does not knowingly collect or solicit information from children under the age of thirteen (13). If you have questions or concerns regarding collection of personal information related to children, please contact us using the information in the “Contact” section below.
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
We may update this Notice from time to time. If we make material changes to this Notice, we will post the changes on this website and provide a new Notice effective date below. We encourage you to revisit this Notice periodically to ensure you are aware of any changes.
CONTACT COLONIAL LIFE’S PRIVACY TEAM
If you have questions or wish to contact us regarding this Notice, please reach out to us at:
Attn: Privacy Office
2211 Congress Street, B267
Portland, Maine 04122
Or via email at email@example.com.
Effective date: 3/15/2023